Updated: Oct 15, 2018
Have you recenty brought home your new puppy and would like to teach them to sit on command or your adult dog doesn’t sit every time you ask. follow the steps below on how to teach a reliable sit.
1. Have a small treat in your hand
2. Put the treat right on your dogs nose
3. Slowly move your hand up and over your dogs head.
4. As soon as your dogs bum hits the floor say “yes” or use your clicker to mark the desired behaviour.
5. Give your dog the food reward while they are still in the sit position.
Repeat the steps 1-5 five times if your dog successfully sits 5 times in a row you ready to increase the criteria. If your dog struggled and only did it 3 times try again using a different food reward or take a break and try again later.
If your dog is struggling then take into count the environment. Is it too distracting? Are you trying outside? Are there a lot of people in the house running around? Is there another pet trying to get the food reward? If the environment is too distracting your dog will struggle to learn. Take them to a quite part of the house. If your dog is not interested in the food reward swap it for somthing better like fresh cooked chicken, ham, beef, dried liver etc.
1. Say the word “sit”
2. Lure your dog into position without a treat in your hand.
3. As soon as you’re dogs bum hits the floor say “yes” or use your clicker to mark the behaviour.
4. Give your dog a food reward while they are still in the sit position.
Repeat 5 times. Increase criteria if they do it 5 times in a row.
Remove the hand lure
1. Say the word sit.
2. Wait a few seconds for your dog to work it out. DO NOT REPEAT the sit cue
3. When your dog goes into the sit position say “yes” or use clicker
4. Give food reward.
Once your dog is sitting reliably on cue in the house and in your garden you can start to proof the sit in more distracting enviroments.